Glowing Skin with Turmeric


Is the cold winter weather leaving your skin dry and dull? Have no fear, Turmeric is here!

What is Turmeric? Turmeric is an Asian plant of the ginger family. It's basically a yellow spice that people add to their food to make it more delicious! But it is SO much more than that! Turmeric is highly regarded as one of the world's most healthiest spices!  It’s an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and has been said to treat and prevent many different types of sickness such as Alzheimer's, chronic pain, cancer, and diabetes.

In the beauty world, turmeric has been used in Indian culture for centuries beyond centuries! In its traditional form, turmeric is used as a full body mask for the bride the night before her wedding, mixed with almond oil, garbanzo bean flour, and sandalwood powder. The potion will leave baby smooth skin with a glowing effect!

I wanted to re-create this "Bridal Glow" mask using ingredients I already had home. Shockingly (insert sarcastic tone of voice), sandalwood powder was not one of those things. So I was off to create my own formula, with proof of benefits behind each ingredient of course !

After doing some research I found that there are many, many different variations of turmeric masks, each one promising the same thing- soft, glowing skin. So, it's pretty much up to you if you would like to substitute an ingredient. Here is what worked for me!

-1 Tspn of Turmeric Powder (base ingredient in all variations of the mask of course)
-1 Tspn of flour (can substitute with rice flour or garbanzo bean flour. You can also use finely-ground oats if you have dry skin.)
-1 Tbspn of milk (can substitute yogurt!)
-2 Tbspn of olive oil (can substitute in with Coconut Oil as well!)
-1 egg yolk (nourishes and helps heal blemishes, while acting as a fantasic emollient) 




Mix everything together until you get a paste like texture. If you see that it is too watery, add more flour or turmeric.... too dense? add more oil or milk. Although I am 99.99% positive it won't stain (see photo below), I recommend you test spot on your arm for 20 minutes just in case.

Once you are good to go, apply a layer of the mask on your face. I used a foundation brush to apply my mask, but you can use gloves or even a paint brush! I don't recommend that you use your hands, because although it didn't stain my skin, it did leave my nails a little yellow.  Leave on for 20 minutes while it dries and lay down to relax! Steep a couple of tea bags, stick them in the fridge while you create your mask and then pop over your eyes for extra relaxation while you wait for your mask to dry!

To wash off, I used a warm wet cloth applied it over my face to help my pores open up. Then just scrub away while rinsing with warm water! Can be messy, so you can clean up in the shower as well! Don't forget to moisturize after! Repeat once a week if time allows, but definitely once a month to keep your skin nourished!


My skin was literally glowing after using the turmeric mask!


Have you guys tried a different variation of this mask? Let me know what you think below!

Comments

FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM