Facial Oil Smackdown: Josie Maran Argan Oil vs. Tarte Maracuja Oil

 
Yes, OIL on your FACE! No, don't run away! Come back and let me serenade you with my beauty talk *insert angel playing violin here*
 
Basically, our skin needs fatty acids found in plant oils to keep hydrated and nourished and unfortunately, the body's largest organ (yes, your skin) cannot produce its own fatty acids.  So, we need to lend a helping hand to our face. bahahah. Added bonus: we can also spread the love! Oils can be used on your skin as well as on your cuticles and your hair!

My dry skin ladies...the heavens have opened and I have discovered the answer to our prayers! Because oils are better able to penetrate deeper into our skin, they are even more beneficial than the creams that we are using to get rid of dry, itchy, flakey skin!

And fear not my shiny friends... it can actually REALLY help to regulate oil! There is a misconception that those with oily skin should not use moisturizer. The more we strip our face of oils using so many oil-control products and we don't somehow replenish our natural oils, our skin actually produces even MORE oil to make up for lost times. Using a lightweight plant oil, you are able to restore your own natural oils and prevent over production leading to acne.

I tested two well-known oils and truly loved both!! But read on to see which one is my favorite!


Tarte Maracuja Oil  - $46 per 1.7oz : I bought this Tarte Oil a WHILE ago and I am so incredibly regretful that I let it just sit on my shelf. I don't know why I didnt use it - to be honest, I don't think I knew what it was really for! But now I know- Thank goodness! Maracuja Oil is cold pressed oil from a passion fruit plant. The oil comes in a glass container with a medicinal type dropper, so you can really control how much you want to apply. I have dry skin.. which gets even more dry in the harsh winter weather, so I decided to give it a try!  I used 1-2 drops and rubbed between my CLEAN fingertips and then massaged it into my CLEAN face before bed. First thing I noticed-  the smell. I loved it! I couldn't put my finger on what kind of smell it was, but I liked it. It smelled...warm and plant-y. ha! After massaging into my skin I was tempted to add another drop, but I stopped myself. The oil is thin and absorbs quickly into the skin making you think you need more- but trust me, 1-2 drops is sufficient! After letting it soak into my skin for about 5-10 minutes, I followed with my nightly Eucerine cream. I woke up the next morning  still feeling really moisturized. My skin was not tight as it usually is and it was so soft to the touch! I loved it!

But don't just take my word for it, here is another users review from the Sephora website: "Maracuja Oil is the best thing that I have ever discovered for my skin. ESPECIALLY for the dry climates here in the west. It's easy to add to any foundation or cream for a little extra hydration help, and its also great in spot treatment for some extra care on those dark spots or scars. I have seen a noticeable difference in the health of my skin since I've started using this oil. AND if you're not ready to commit to a bigger bottle, they also have a travel size that will last quiet a while too. "



Josie Maran Argan Oil - $48 per 1.7oz: This was the winner for me! I was introduced to Josie Maran products when I took a professional makeup course in Los Angeles by Lilit Caradanian and I AM SO GLAD to have learned about this brand! Straight from their website , "We use pure, Fair Trade Argan Oil, grown and harvested responsibly by co-ops of Moroccan women who earn a living wage. We partner with earth-loving, women-empowering organizations, use eco-friendly packaging, and we never stop striving to improve our products and our impact on the world." --- Well Josie, you had me at "fair trade!" What a beautiful thing this company is doing!

Josie Maran is sold exclusively at Sephora stores! Rich in Vitamin E, which helps maintain the skin's moisture and elasticity, this argan oil also comes in a "Light" formula as well!  Vitamin E is a staple of anti-aging products as well helping heal scars, birthmarks, sunburns and many more skin ailments.

I used this product the same way I used the Tarte Oil. 1-2 drops into my fingertips and massaged into my face before bedtime. This time, I didn't smell anything - which I guess could be a good indication that there are no unnecessary added products in this, but 100% pure argan oil. I also did not use my Eucerine cream and just let Josie do her job on my skin! When I woke up in the morning, my skin was glowing.. and not in an oily way. The oil had absorbed deep into my skin, leaving me looking seriously fresh and healthy. With all the benefits of the oil itself, plus what this brand is doing to help our world, Josie Maran is my winner!


Here is another users review from the Sephora website: "I've used this before and hated it..I guess I didn't give it enough time. But one day I decided to try it out again. I use it every night 2 hours before bed so it sinks in. Been using it for a good 3 weeks and I have to say, this stuff is amazing. I have oily, acne prone skin too. It hasn't broken me out once. in fact I think this is keeping my acne away. I have a lot of acne scarring as well and it has faded significantly. I wake up to hydrated and soft skin. I will continue to use this forever. it has changed my life. "

Have you tried these products? Which one is your favorite?


Editor's Note:

Remember, everyone's skin is different and what may work for one may not work for others. There have been some reviews of people breaking out into tiny red bumps. If this happens, stop using the product as it clearly does not agree with your particular skin. However, I highly recommend that everyone at least give the oils a try! There are MANY reports of these two facial oils helping clear acne, eczema, and balance out PH levels and oily skin.

Although these products are high in dollar signs, remember that the bargain hunter in you may need to sit back on this one. Higher-priced oils are  more pure and less refined. The ones you may find at your local drugstore may be less expensive, but can contain additives and byproducts of the refining and bleaching processes. So less-processed means better quality and higher price. Literally speaking, you get what you pay for!

Comments

FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM